Veterinary Medicine Collections

Ahrens, Franklin A. Papers, 1981.
Extent: 1 folder.
Number: RS 14/8/16.
Finding Aid: Unavailable.


American Association of Avian Pathologists. Records, 1920-1988.
Extent: 14.3 linear feet.
Number: MS-430.
Description: Organization initiated at the 1957 annual meeting of the American Veterinary Medical Association for the purposes of promoting the mutual interests of persons engaged in the field of avian diseases, stimulating scientific progress and education in avian pathology, and encouraging a scientific journal on avian diseases. Collection includes minutes, committee reports, annual reports, financial records, materials from symposia and conferences, correspondence, newsletters, a constitution and bylaws, membership directories, mailing lists, publications, and materials on the history of avian pathology and the AAAP. It contains correspondence and other materials of Arthur Bickford, Alicia V. Brown, Bruce W. Calnek, Robert J. Eckroade, C. F. Hall, Birch McMurray, Craig Riddell, A. S. Rosenwald, and Richard L. Witter. The collection also includes materials relating to the American Animal Hospital Association, the Animal Health Association, the American Veterinary Medical Association, the United States Animal Health Association, and the World Veterinary Poultry Association. Papers of J. Franklin Witter deal with his research from 1920-1981 on the history of avian pathology and document his activities as the first chair of the American Association of Avian Pathologists History Committee. They include correspondence and materials generated in soliciting and developing early AAAP-sponsored articles on the history of avian diseases, biographies of poultry scientists, and information regarding the development of vaccines for avian diseases.
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online. (pdf file)


American Association of Equine Practitioners. Records, 1979-1992.
Extent: 1.3 linear feet.
Number: MS-435.
Description: Organization whose members specialize in equine medicine and surgery. Founded in 1955, the American Association of Equine Practitioners disseminates and promotes research on equine medicine. Collection includes a constitution, bylaws, a history of the first 25 years of the association, membership directories, newsletters, press releases, reports, and publications.
Status: Container listed.
Finding Aid: Online.


American Association of Industrial Veterinarians. Records, 1954-1982.
Extent: 1.3 linear feet.
Number: MS-547.
Description: Organization of industrial veterinarians begun with an exploratory meeting in 1954, and formally established in 1955 as the Industrial Veterinarians Association. Its name was changed to the American Association of Industrial Veterinarians in 1976. The association's objectives are to advance the professional standards of veterinarians engaged in any phase of industrial employment; to inform industry of the contributions that veterinarians can make to its operations; to inform the veterinary profession of the increasing opportunities for the members in industry; to improve the standards by which veterinarians are chosen in industry and the professional stature of veterinarians associated with industry; to promote free communications among the members of the organization, within the limits of individual corporate policy; and to promote communication and cooperation between the association and other organizations with mutual interests. Collection includes correspondence, membership lists, minutes, publications, and a slide show directed at veterinary medicine students to promote veterinary careers in industry. Correspondents include Grover D. Cloyd, John B. Herrick, William A. Knapp, Jr., Bernard LaSalle, G. Dean Lindsey, George Scott, and A. Louis Shor.
Status: Container listed.
Finding Aid: Online.


American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians. Records, 1957-1980.
Extent: 3.9 linear feet.
Number: MS-487.
Description: Organization founded in 1958 whose membership is open to persons active in veterinary laboratory diagnostic medicine. Each state has an official delegate and alternate to the association's executive board. The American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians disseminates information on animal disease diagnosis; coordinates the diagnostic activities of regulatory, research, and service laboratories; establishes uniform diagnostic techniques and seeks to improve existing ones; and establishes guidelines for personnel and facilities. The association has also been known as the National Conference of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians (1958-1963) and the Conference of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians (1964-1968). Collection includes correspondence, annual meeting minutes, conference programs, and membership lists. Correspondents include W. E. Lyle, Don Lundholm, James G. Miller, Frank E. Mitchell, and E. P. Pope.
Status: Unprocessed.
Finding Aid: Online.


American Association of Veterinary Parasitologists. Records, 1952-1997.
Extent: 6.5 linear feet.
Number: MS-475.
Description: Organization founded in 1956 to provide a forum for the presentation and discussion of items of common interest among parasitologists and to further scientific progress by education and research in veterinary parasitology. Collection includes materials from conferences, minutes, correspondence, financial reports, a membership directory, and a constitution. Correspondents include D. E. Cooperider and S. M. Gaafar.
Status: Container listed.
Finding Aid: Online.


American Association of Veterinary State Boards. Records, 1958-1986.
Extent: 0.21 linear foot.
Number: MS-402.
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online.


American College of Theriogenologists. Records, 1967-1985.
Extent: 0.42 linear foot.
Number: MS-465.
Description: Organization formally organized in 1970 for the purpose of advancing knowledge, education, and services in the field of theriogenology, a branch of veterinary medicine which deals with reproduction, veterinary obstetrics, gynecology, and seminology. The American College of Theriogenologists acts as a certifying agency for theriogenologists and conducts educational programs. Collections includes articles, a constitution, correspondence, newsletters, and speeches. Correspondents include David E. Bartlett and Lloyd C. Faulkner.
Status: Container listed.
Finding Aid: Online.


American College of Veterinary Microbiologists. Records, 1960-1988.
Extent: 5.83 linear feet.
Number: MS-439.
Description: The American College of Veterinary Microbiologists evolved from the former American Association of Veterinary Bacteriologists. Increasing awareness among this association's membership of the need for board certification of veterinary microbiologists resulted in the formation of an organizing committee in 1962. The organizing committee prepared a constitution and bylaws. Once these documents were approved by the Council on Education and the House of Delegates of the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), an organizational meeting was held in July 1966. Full approval of the organization was granted by the AVMA in 1968. Goals of the organization include furthering educational and scientific progress in the specialty of veterinary microbiology; strengthening and improving instruction at the pre- and postdoctoral level in veterinary microbiology; promoting the highest professional standing of veterinary microbiologists; establishing standards of postdoctoral training and experience for qualification of specialists in veterinary microbiology; and furthering the recognition of such qualified specialists by the issuance of certificates of competence and special knowledge in veterinary microbiology. Collection includes correspondence, a constitution and bylaws, financial reports, and meeting minutes. Correspondents include Charles H. Cunningham, John B. Fratzek, A. L. Kleckner, and R. Allen Packer.
Status: 4.53 linear feet unprocessed, 1.3 linear feet container listed.
Finding Aid: Online.


American College of Veterinary Pathologists. Records, 1948-1984.
Extent: 3.3 linear feet.
Number: MS-420.
Description: Organization incorporated in the District of Columbia in 1949 with the objective of furthering scientific progress in veterinary pathology and establishing training and experience standards for the field. Members of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists include veterinary pathologists in private practice, meat inspection, diagnostic laboratories, teaching, and research, and officers of the Veterinary Corps of the U.S. Armed Forces. Records include correspondence, newsletters, membership directories, and meeting agendas and minutes.
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online. (pdf file)


American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine. Records, 1949-1980.
Extent: 1.3 linear feet.
Number: MS-557.
Description: Organization incorporated in 1950 as the American Board of Veterinary Public Health, a nonprofit educational organization whose goals included furthering education and scientific progress in the specialty of veterinary preventive medicine. In 1978, the organization changed its name to the American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine and was granted full accreditation by the American Veterinary Medical Association. Collection includes annual reports, a constitution, correspondence, and membership lists. Correspondents include Joe W. Atkinson, Martin D. Baum, Donald C. Kelley, and Leo A. Whitehair.
Status: Container listed.
Finding Aid: Online.


American Leptospirosis Research Conference. Records, 1958-1990.
Extent: 0.21 linear foot.
Number: MS-447.
Description: The American Leptospirosis Research Conference was formed in 1958 to provide a forum for persons with an active interest in leptospirosis or other spirochetoses to discuss current research results and problems. Collection contains conference materials, minutes, and reports.
Status: Container listed.
Finding Aid: Online.


American Society for Veterinary Clinical Pathology. Records, 1973-1986.
Extent: 0.21 linear foot.
Number: MS-426.
Description: Organization founded in 1965 for the purposes of furthering scientific progress and the practice of clinical pathology in the diagnosis and treatment of animal disease. Until 1978, the American Society for Veterinary Clinical Pathology was known as the American Society of Veterinary Clinical Pathologists. Collection contains brief histories of the society and the University of Missouri Veterinary Pathology Department by Harry H. Berrier. It also contains an extensive history of the society by Harry H. Berrier and Steven L. Stockham.
Status: Container listed.
Finding Aid: Online.


American Society of Animal Science. Records, 1966-1989.
Extent: 1.3 linear feet.
Number: MS-566.
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online.


American Veterinary Holistic Medical Association. Records, 1982-1986.
Extent: 0.21 linear foot.
Number: MS-450.
Description: Organization founded in 1982 at a meeting of the Western States Veterinary Conference by a group of 40 veterinarians interested in applying alternative medical approaches to veterinary medicine. Collection includes newsletters, photocopied letters, minutes, and other documents.
Status: Container listed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Barry Company, The. Records, 1893-1903.
Extent: 0.21 linear foot.
Number: MS-100.
Description: Business located in Iowa City, Iowa. The Barry Company sold a "sure cure" for diseases afflicting the eyes of horses, including specific opthalmia and moon blindness. A small advertisement published in newspapers and farm magazines produced letters of inquiry from all over the United States. Collection includes correspondence, endorsements, and a copy of the company's advertising.
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Beef Improvement Federation. Records, 1965-1997, undated.
Extent: 11.34 linear feet.
Number: MS-270.
Finding Aid: Online.


Benbrook, Edward A. Papers, 1916-1962.
Extent: 1.3 linear feet.
Number: RS 14/7/12.
Description: Veterinarian and educator. Edward A. Benbrook received a D.V.M. degree in 1914 from the University of Pennsylvania, where he was working as an instructor in veterinary bacteriology. In 1914, he went to Oklahoma State University as an assistant professor of veterinary science. Benbrook came to Iowa State University in 1918 as an associate professor of veterinary investigation, then served as professor and head of the Department of Veterinary Pathology from 1919 to 1957. Active in numerous professional societies, he was a member of the National Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners from 1949 to 1955. Benbrook was awarded the Clarence Hartley Covault Distinguished Professorship in Veterinary Medicine in 1949 and was named Iowa State's professor of the year in 1961. Under his leadership, Iowa State's Department of Veterinary Pathology became internationally prominent. Benbrook contributed a chapter to Diseases of Poultry (1943) by Harry E. Biester and Louis H. Schwarte, authored Outline of Parasites Reported for Domesticated Animals in North America (1958), and co-authored with Margaret W. Sloss Veterinary Clinical Parasitology (2nd edition, 1955). He was a member of the Iowa State Athletic Council from 1943 to 1949 and served as its vice-chairperson from 1947 to 1949. Collection includes photographs of parasites taken both by Benbrook and Margaret W. Sloss and lecture notes on veterinary parasitology.
Status: Unprocessed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Bennett, Paul C. Papers, 1948-1979. 
Extent: 1 folder.
Number: RS 14/2/12.
Finding Aid: Unavailable.


Black, Neal (1928- ). Papers, 1960-1975.
Extent: 1.26 linear feet.
Number: MS-78.
Description: Journalist, administrator. Neal Black began his career as a reporter (1949-1953) and then farm editor (1953-1957) for the Waterloo, Iowa Courier. He joined National Hog Farmer as managing editor in 1957 and served in that capacity until 1973, when he became the magazine's editor, a position he held through 1979. From 1980 to 1988 he served as president of the Livestock Conservation Institute, an organization which works to promote methods of livestock management which prevent losses which reduce the value of livestock and animal products. Black also served as secretary of the National Pork Industry Conference and chair of the Hog Cholera Eradication Committee of the Livestock Conservation Institute. Collection documents the fight against hog cholera in the United States and includes committee minutes, correspondence, newsclippings, and progress reports on a cooperative agreement between the Livestock Conservation Institute and the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Correspondents include Keith Myers, G.H. Wise and Paul Zillman.
Status: Processed.  
Finding Aid: Online.


Carithers, Jeanine R.  Papers, 1975-1988. 
Extent: 1 folder. 
Number: RS 14/4/16.


Cholvin, Neal R.  Papers, 1964-1982. 
Extent: 1 folder. 
Number: RS 14/8/14.


Coalition to End Animal Suffering and Exploitation. Records, 1987-1990.
Extent: 0.42 linear foot.
Number: MS-445.
Description: The Coalition to End Animal Suffering and Exploitation, or CEASE, was organized to protect farm animals from inhumane treatment. Collection includes correspondence, proposed legislation, and news clippings on CEASE and farm animal welfare.
Status: Container listed.
Finding Aid: Available in Special Collections.


College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Department of Pre-Professional Study. Newsclippings, 1992. 
Extent: 1 folder. 
Number: RS 13/26/0/0.


College of Veterinary Medicine. Dean's Office. RS 14/1

RS 14/1/0/0.

Newsclippings, 1913-1980. 0.21 linear foot.

RS 14/1/0/1.

Annual Reports, 1979-1988. 2 folders.

RS 14/1/0/3.

Brochures, 1969-1988. 2 folders.

RS 14/1/0/4.

Publications, 1915-1976. 0.21 linear foot.

RS 14/1/0/5.

Faculty and Staff Directories, 1968-1975. 0.21 linear foot.

RS 14/1/0/6.

Historical Accounts, 1900-1982. 0.21 linear foot.

RS 14/1/0/7.

Catalogs, 1881-1967. 0.21 linear foot.

RS 14/1/0/8.

Education in Veterinary Medicine, 1917-1945. 0.21 linear foot.

RS 14/1/0/9.

Practitioners Short Course, 1915. 0.5 linear foot.

RS 14/1/0/10.

Staff Newsletter, 1971-1989. 0.84 liner foot.

RS 14/1/1.

Subject File, 1897-1977. 0.42 linear foot.

RS 14/1/2.

Biographical Files, 1916-1979. 0.21 linear foot.

RS 14/1/3.

Cabinet Minutes, 1970-1989. 2.1 linear feet.

RS 14/1/4.

Minutes-Veterinary Faculty Meetings, 1915-1929, 1962. 1.41 linear feet.

RS 14/1/6.

Centennial Celebration, 1979. 0.21 linear foot.

College of Veterinary Medicine. Department of Veterinary Anatomy. RS 14/4

RS 14/4/0/0.

Newsclippings, 1966. 1 folder.

RS 14/4/0/3.

Brochures, 1985, 1998. 1 folder.

RS 14/4/2.

Biographical Files, 1908-[ongoing]. 0.21 linear foot.

College of Veterinary Medicine. Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences. RS 14/5

RS 14/5/0/0.

Newsclippings, 1952-1994. 2 folders.

RS 14/5/0/3.

Brochures, 1970-1980. 2 folders.

RS 14/5/0/4.

Publications, 1942. 1 volume.

RS 14/5/0/5.

Workshops, 1979. 1 folder.

RS 14/5/1.

Subject files, 1900. 1 folder.

RS 14/5/2.

Biographical Files, 1899-[ongoing].

College of Veterinary Medicine. Department of Veterinary Microbiology and Preventive Medicine. RS 14/6

RS 14/6/0/0.

Newsclippings, 1966, 1976. 1 folder.

RS 14/6/1.

Subject files, 1958-1988. 2 folders.

RS 14/6/2.

Biographical Files, 1941-[ongoing]. 0.21 linear foot.

College of Veterinary Medicine. Department of Veterinary Pathology. RS 14/7

RS 14/7/0/0.

Newsclippings, 1973. 1 folder.

RS 14/7/0/3.

Brochures, 1931. 1 folder.

RS 14/7/0/4.

Publications, 1974. 1 folder.

RS 14/7/1.

Subject files, 1966, 1972. 1 folder.

RS 14/7/2.

Biographical Files, 1899-[ongoing].

College of Veterinary Medicine. Department of Veterinary Physiology and Pharmacology. RS 14/8

RS 14/8/1.

Subject Files, 1992. 1 folder.

RS 14/8/2.

Biographical Files, 1899-[ongoing]. 0.42 linear foot.

College of Veterinary Medicine. Laboratory Animal Resources. RS 14/11

RS 14/11/0/3.

Brochures, n.d. 1 folder.

College of Veterinary Medicine. National Veterinary Services Laboratories/National Animal Disease Center. RS 14/10

RS 14/10/0/0.

Newsclippings, 1954-1991.

RS 14/10/0/3.

Brochures, 1961. 1 folder.

RS 14/10/1.

Subject Files, 1956-1961. 5 folders.

RS 14/10/2.

Biographical Files, 1960-1963. 2 folders.

College of Veterinary Medicine. Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory. RS 14/2

RS 14/2/0/0.

Newsclippings, 1954-1999. 2 folders.

RS 14/2/2.

Biographical Files, 1966-1977. 0.21 linear foot.

RS 14/2/3. RESTRICTED

Case Log Books, 1947-1987. 9.17 linear feet.

RS 14/2/0/4.

Publications, 1956. 1 folder.

College of Veterinary Medicine. Veterinary Medical Research Institute. RS 14/3

RS 14/3/0/0.

Newsclippings, 1957-1982. 1 folder.

RS 14/3/0/5.

Reports, 1939-1956. 1 folder.

RS 14/3/2.

Biographical Files, 1929-1982. 0.21 linear foot.


Control Agency. Records, 1936-1959.
Extent: 1.47 linear feet.
Number: MS-049.
Description: The Control Agency came into existence in 1936 through a marketing agreement and by order of the Agricultural Adjustment Administration of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. It was an association of hog cholera anti-serum, virus, and vaccine producers and distributors. The agency's primary functions were to assure that reserve supplies of serum and vaccine were available to combat outbreaks of hog cholera and to regulate marketing practices. L. J. Gardner was the agency's permanent executive secretary. Hearings were held to present the industry's proposals for amendments and additions to the act establishing the agency. It was terminated in 1966; by that time serum and vaccine were being replaced by an eradication program in which infected hogs were killed. Collection contains copies of transcriptions of hearings and related exhibits.
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Dorset, Marion (1872-1935). Papers, 1906-1951.
Extent: 0.42 linear foot.
Number: MS-032.
Description: Chemist. Marion Dorset received a B.S. from the University of Tennessee in 1893. He then worked as an expert assistant chemist in the Biochemical Laboratories of the U.S. Department of Agriculture while pursuing a medical degree at George Washington University. Dorset received an M.D. in 1896. In 1897 he went to Iowa with a serum designed to eradicate hog cholera. This early effort was unsuccessful, but Dorset continued his research in Washington, D.C.. During this same time, W. B. Niles and C. N. McBryde led field work in Iowa, and an effective cholera antitoxin was perfected in 1910. Dorset was made assistant chief of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Biochemic Division at its inception in 1896. He became chief of the division in 1904, a position he held until his death. Besides developing a hog cholera antitoxin, Dorset also developed a tuberculin for bovine tuberculosis and methods for controlling poultry pullorum. Collection includes biographical material, correspondence, newspaper clippings, American and international patents for a hog cholera antitoxin, and photographs. Correspondents include Paul de Kruif and Horace German.
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Douglass Mutual Livestock Association.  Records, 1880-1899.
Extent: 0.21 linear foot.
Number: MS-333.
Description: Organization in Pottstown, Berks County, Pennsylvania, that insured horses, cows, and mules against sickness and death. Ledger contains association minutes for 1880-1899.
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Dyer, Donald.  Papers, 1980.
Extent: 1 folder.
Number: RS 14/8/15.


Eastern Iowa Veterinary Medical Association. Records, 1929-1970.
Extent: 1.3 linear feet.
Number: MS-416.
Description: District veterinary medical organization for the eastern part of Iowa. The association may date from as early as 1892, when it was recorded as meeting in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Collection includes membership applications, committee lists, minutes, conference materials, and a register of the Eastern Iowa Veterinary Ladies (1929-1943).
Status: Container listed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Flatt, Ronald. Papers, 1964-1983. 
Extent: 23.4 linear feet.
Number: RS 14/11/11.
Description: Veterinarian, educator, and administrator. Ronald E. Flatt received a B.S. in 1960, a D.V.M. in 1962, and a Ph.D. in 1967, all from the University of California, Davis. He served in the veterinary pathology section of the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology from 1962 to 1964. From 1967 to 1970, Flatt was a member of the veterinary pathology faculty and chief of anatomical pathology at the Sinclair Comparative Medicine Research Farm of the University of Missouri. He joined the Iowa State University faculty in 1970 as an associate professor and was promoted to professor in 1974. At Iowa State he served as director of laboratory animal resources as well as professor of veterinary pathology. Flatt was active in many professional societies, and served as a national officer of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science for several years. He was editor of Laboratory Animal Science from 1978 until his death. Flatt made contributions both locally and nationally in the area of animal welfare, maintaining that the use of animals in research and teaching was a privilege, that they should be used only when necessary, and that they should be humanely handled. Collection includes committee files, correspondence, interoffice memoranda, reports, and writings. Correspondents include David Hopper and Wallace M. Wass. The collection also contains office files for Iowa State's laboratory animal resources unit, including equipment orders and post-mortem records.
Status: Unprocessed.
Finding Aid: Unavailable.


Fletcher, Oscar. Papers, 1989-1992.
Extent: 2 folders.
Number: RS 14/1/20.


Fort Dodge Laboratories. Records, 1913-1978.
Extent: 4.2 linear feet.
Number: MS-019.
Description: Fort Dodge Laboratories was founded by veterinarian Daniel E. Baughman as the Ames Vaccine Company in Ames, Iowa, in 1911. In 1912, the company was moved to Fort Dodge, Iowa, and was renamed the Fort Dodge Serum Company. Its name was changed to Fort Dodge Laboratories in 1932. The company was originally formed to produce anti-hog cholera serum, but later expanded into the production of other veterinary drugs used in the treatment of livestock and household pets. The collection has two distinctive parts. The first part focuses on the development of the manufacturing process for anti-hog cholera serum. It includes correspondence of Howard J. Shore, who served as laboratory director for the company from 1919 to 1952; publications of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Bureau of Animal Industry; reports of the chief of the Bureau of Animal Industry (1924-1951); a large collection of pamphlets on animal diseases and related matters; and an index to the circular letters and Bureau of Animal Industry letters to Fort Dodge Laboratories. The second part relates to a vaccine Fort Dodge Laboratories produced to control anaplasmosis in cattle; it contains conference materials, correspondence, legal documents, and survey materials and statistics regarding anaplasmosis research. Correspondents include Richard Searl and J. C. Trace.
Status: 4.2 linear feet processed, 9.1 linear feet container listed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Fox, Michael Wilson. Papers, 1974-1986.
Extent: 0.84 linear foot.
Number: MS-452.
Description: Veterinarian, educator, and animal rights activist. Born in Great Britain, Michael Wilson Fox received a bachelor of veterinary medicine and M.R.C.V.S. degree at the Royal Veterinary College, University of London (1962). He also received a Ph.D. in medicine (1967) and a D.Sc. in behavior (1976) from the same institution. Fox came to the United States for a research fellowship at Jackson Laboratory in Bar Harbor, Maine (1962-1964). He then went to the State Research Hospital in Galesburg, Illinois, from 1964 to 1967, and taught biology and psychology at Washington University from 1967 to 1976. Fox became director of the newly-founded Institute for the Study of Animal Problems, a branch of the Humane Society of the United States, in 1976. Fox's research interests include animal behavior, development of canines, animal rights, and comparative psychopathology. Among his publications are Factory Farming (1980), Farm Animals (1984), Advances in Animal Welfare Science 1984/85 (1984), and Farm Animal Welfare and the Human Diet (1983). Collection largely consists of photocopied correspondence, letters to the editor, publications by Fox, and seminar papers.
Status: Container listed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Getty, Robert. Papers, 1948-1971.
Extent: 1 folder.
Number: RS 14/4/13.


Grandin, Temple. (1947-    ) Papers, 1983-1990.
Extent: 0.42 linear foot.
Number: MS-344.
Description: Livestock equipment designer and educator. Temple Grandin teaches in the Animal Science Department at Colorado State University; she is also an independent livestock consultant and designer of animal handling devices for improving the humane treatment of livestock. She received a B.A. in psychology from Franklin Pierce College (1970); an M.S. in animal science from Arizona State University (1975); and a Ph.D. in animal science from University of Illinois, Urbana (1989). Grandin is also an expert on autism in children and the author of Emergence Labelled Autistic (1986). She served as a consultant to the actor Dustin Hoffman for the film Rain Man (1988). Collection includes correspondence; biographical information; copies of papers, articles, and publications by Grandin; and photographs. Correspondents include John B. Herrick and the Midwest American Society of Animal Science.
Status: Container listed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Greer, Mary Helen. Papers, 1995.
Extent: 1 folder.
Number: RS 14/4/17.


Harris, Delbert. Papers, 1992.
Extent: 1 folder.
Number: RS 14/6/13.


Henry Dale Bergman. Papers, 1911-1965.
Extent: 0.21 linear foot.
Number: RS 14/1/15.


Hewitt, Earl. Papers, 1916-1964.
Extent: 2 folders.
Number: RS 14/8/12.


Hog Cholera Pamphlets and Reprints Collection, 1892-1962.
Extent: 0.21 linear foot.
Number: MS-389.
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online.


International Pig Veterinary Society. Records, 1972-1976.
Extent: 2.6 linear feet.
Number: MS-559.
Description: Organization created in 1969 when the Cambridge Congress of Great Britain approved its formation and when it became affiliated with the World Veterinary Association. The objectives of the International Pig Veterinary Society include holding international congresses for the exchange of ideas and information concerning pig health and disease, forming pig veterinary societies in all countries, and coordinating meetings between national societies of countries in areas of common interest. Collection includes minutes, committee lists, correspondence, newsletters, articles, speeches, conference proceedings, and materials on the history of the society. Correspondents include Delbert Linn Harris, Norman E. Hutton, and Robert D. Glock.
Status: Container listed.
Finding Aid: Online.


International Veterinary Academy On Disaster Medicine. Records, 1979-1992.
Extent: 0.84 linear foot.
Number: MS-259.
Description: The International Veterinary Academy on Disaster Medicine was formed at the 1983 meeting of the World Veterinary Congress. Originally called World Veterinarians Against Nuclear War, it was formed as a result of efforts by Robert Shomer and Ole Stalheim to submit a resolution against nuclear war to the congress. Twenty-nine charter members from ten countries drafted a resolution calling upon the governments of all countries to abolish nuclear arms, and this resolution was passed by the World Veterinary Congress at its 1988 meeting. The scope of the organization was later expanded to include all disasters, whether natural or human, affecting the well-being of animals. Its name was changed to the International Veterinary Academy on Disaster Medicine to reflect this broadened focus. The first meeting of the academy was held in Brighton, England, in 1985, in conjunction with the World Congress on Emergency and Disaster Medicine. Subsequent meetings were held in Montreal, Canada, during the 1987 World Veterinary Congress, and in Hong Kong during the 1989 World Congress on Emergency and Disaster Medicine. At the Hong Kong meeting, the academy promoted guidelines for disaster preparedness plans developed with input by veterinarians, and suggested that emergency and disaster medicine should be taught in veterinary schools and in continuing education programs. Though a fourth meeting was planned for the International Veterinary Academy on Disaster Medicine at the 1991 World Veterinary Congress, it did not materialize, leaving the future of the organization in doubt. Collection includes correspondence, disaster planning guidelines, meeting minutes, news clippings, newsletters, and treasurer's reports. Correspondents include Robert Shomer and Ole Stalheim.
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Iowa Animal Health Advisory Committee. Records, 1974-1982.
Extent: 0.21 linear foot.
Number: MS-197.
Description: The Iowa Animal Health Advisory Committee serves at the behest of the Iowa Secretary of Agriculture. Its members include a cross-section of individuals connected to the meat industry, including state and federal veterinarians and representatives from meat packing firms, livestock producer organizations, and farm organizations. Records in the collection deal primarily with efforts to eradicate brucellosis and pseudorabies (Aujesky's Disease). Collection includes charts, correspondence, meeting minutes, and proposals for the eradication of pseudorabies. Correspondents include Robert H. Lounsberry, Harold Mindermann, and Keith Myers.
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Iowa Hog Cholera Eradication Committee. Records, 1960-1976.
Extent: 0.42 linear foot.
Number: MS-202.
Description: The Iowa Hog Cholera Eradication Committee was formally organized in 1960. It became part of a coordinated national effort to eliminate hog cholera, and the nine-point program recommended by the National Hog Cholera Committee was adopted by the Iowa Committee. The program included mandatory reporting of hog cholera outbreaks, strict quarantines of infected premises, no movement of swine without certification of vaccination, intensified research on the disease, and a long-range public education program regarding the disease. The collection records the efforts made at the state level through the four phases of the program: preparation; reduction of incidence; elimination of outbreaks; and protection against reinfection. The United States was declared free of hog cholera on January 31, 1978. Collection includes correspondence, meeting minutes, news releases, news clippings, and regulations for control of contagious diseases of livestock. Correspondents include Neal Black and Marion Steddom.
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Iowa Ornithological Association. Records, 1895-1897.
Extent: 0.21 linear foot.
Number: MS-581.
Finding Aid: Online.


Iowa Ornithologists' Union. Records, 1923-2000.
Extent: 2.1 linear feet.
Number: MS-166.
Finding Aid: Online.


Iowa Pork Producers Association. Records, 1934-1977.
Extent: 0.42 linear foot.
Number: MS-158.
Description: Organization founded in 1929 by a group of swine producers. In 1934 it began to receive an annual appropriation from the Iowa legislature. By 1968 it was no longer affiliated with the Iowa Department of Agriculture and was supported through dues and check-offs. Collection includes articles of incorporation; correspondence; financial statements; and minutes of annual meetings, board of directors meetings, and committee meetings.
Finding Aid: Online.


Iowa Poultry Association. Records, 1940-1974.
Extent: 5.46 linear feet.
Number: MS-067.
Description: Organization founded in 1929, serving both as a trade organization for the Iowa poultry industry and, through the National Poultry Improvement Plan, as an agency for the control of poultry disease. Collection contains printed materials, correspondence, reports, financial records, and membership lists.< br/> Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Iowa Turkey Federation. Records, 1959-1978.
Extent: 7.8 linear feet.
Number: MS-478.


Iowa Veterinary Medical Association. Records, 1961-1974.
Extent: 7.56 linear feet.
Number: MS-039.
Description: The Iowa Veterinary Medical Association originated from the Iowa State Veterinary Medical Association, a group whose first constitution was adopted in 1883. In its first years, the association held annual meetings and elected officers each year, but no formal programs were offered. In 1888, a reorganizational meeting was held, and the 1889 meeting featured presentations by members and guests on veterinary issues. The association's original goals were the upgrading of the veterinary profession and the improvement of public health through sanitary regulations for animal products. Known both as the Iowa State Veterinary Medical Association and the Iowa Veterinary Association in its early years, its current name was adopted in 1928. Collection includes correspondence, minutes, committee reports, copy for Iowa Veterinarian, membership lists, programs, and financial records. Correspondents include John B. Herrick and F. D. Wertman.
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Judisch, George. Papers, 1926-1954.
Extent: 0.42 linear foot.
Number: RS 14/8/51.


Kitchell, Ralph Floyd. Papers, 1941-1997.
Extent: 0.42 linear foot.
Number: RS 14/1/18.
Description: Ralph Lloyd Kitchell was born July 19, 1919 in Waukee, Iowa. He recived a D.V.M. (1943) from Iowa State College (University) and a Ph.D. (1951) from the University of Minnesota in Human Anatomy. After receiving his D.V.M., Dr. Kitchell served as a major in the Veterinary Corps of the United States Army (1943-1946). He then worked for the University of Minnesota as a Research Fellow in the Diagnostic Laboratory (1946-1947), and was promoted to Instructor (1947-1951), Associate Professor (1951-1954), Professor and Head of Veterinary Anatomy (1954-1964), and Assistant Dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine (1963-1964). He left Minnesota to become Dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine at Kansas State University (1964-1966). Kitchell returned to Iowa State as Dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine (1966-1971). After resigning as Dean, he continued to teach at Iowa State (1971-1972) until taking a position at University of California, Davis, School of Veterinary Medicine as Professor of Pathology and Anatomy (1972-1990).Dr. Kitchell's research interests included animal somatosensory physiology, pain perception, and taste. He published numerous articles and books, such as "Taste Reception in the Goat, Sheep, and Calf" (1966) and Animal Pain: Perception and Alleviation (1983). Collection includes contains reprints of published articles and biographical material. The articles focus mainly on animal somatosensory physiology, pain perception, and taste.
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Kramer, Theodore T. Papers, 1980-1989.
Extent: 1 folder.
Number: RS 14/6/12.


Lab Animal Facilities Committee. Records, 1972-1984.
Extent: 3 folders.
Number: RS 8/6/52.


Library. Assistant Director for Public Services. Veterinary Medical Library. Acquisition List.
Extent: 0.42 linear foot.
Number: RS 25/2/0/4.


 

Livestock Conservation Institute. Records, 1922-1991.
Extent: 10.66 linear feet.
Number: MS-077.
Description: Organization whose goal is to promote practical methods of livestock management to prevent losses that reduce the economic value of livestock and livestock products. The Livestock Conservation Institute had its origins in the National Livestock Sanitary Committee, established in 1916 by the members of the Chicago Stock Exchange to combat bovine tuberculosis. This group was reorganized in 1934 as the National Livestock Loss Prevention Board, a cooperative program of the stock markets and the railroads to reduce livestock losses due to bruising and disease. The name of the board was changed to Livestock Conservation, Inc., in 1951, and to the Livestock Conservation Institute in 1976. Institute membership is made up of organizations, companies, and state government agencies. Collection includes committee minutes, cooperative agreements, correspondence, news clippings, proceedings, publications, and reports. Correspondents include Neal Black and Paul Zillman.
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Magilton, James H. Papers, 1968-1979.
Extent: 1 folder.
Number: RS 14/4/14.


Mastitis Research Workers Conference. Records, 1958-1981.
Extent: 0.42 linear foot.
Number: MS-429.
Description: The Mastitis Research Workers Conference was begun with an exploratory meeting in 1958 and was formally organized in 1959. The purpose of the conference is to provide a place for informal discussion of research results and problems for persons actively engaged in bovine mastitis research. Collection includes conference materials, correspondence, lists of projects, membership lists, minutes, and surveys. Correspondents include Richard W. Brown and E. J. Mann.
Status: Container listed.
Finding Aid: Online.


McNeil, John H. Papers, 1932-1951.
Extent: 1 folder.
Number: RS 14/1/12.


Merchant, Ival Arthur. Papers, 1941-1981.
Extent: 0.21 linear foot.
Number: RS 14/1/16.
Finding Aid: Online.


Murray, Charles. Papers, 1908-1966.
Extent: 0.63 linear foot.
Number: RS 14/1/14.
Finding Aid: Online.


National Association of Animal Breeders. Records, 1939-1982.
Extent: 11.7 linear feet.
Number: MS-494.
Description: The National Association of Animal Breeders (NAAB), formerly known as the National Association of Artificial Breeders, was founded in 1946 for farmer cooperatives and private businesses interested in the improvement of farm livestock.  The purpose of the NAAB as defined by its by-laws is "...to unite those individuals and organizations engaged in the artificial insemination of cattle and other livestock into an affiliated federation operating under self-imposed standards of performance and to conduct and promote the mutual interest and ideals of its members." The National Association of Animal Breeders conducts various marketing and promotion programs to expand the use of artificial insemination in dairy and beef herds of the United States. Collection contains correspondence, committee reports, research reports, surveys, membership lists, newsletters, photographs, and articles and publications which address research that has been conducted on the subject of artificial insemination in livestock.
Status: Container listed.
Finding Aid: Online.


National Swine Growers Council. Records, 1954-1962.
Extent: 0.21 linear foot.
Number: MS-235.
Description: The National Swine Producers Council (renamed the National Pork Producers Council) was formed in 1954 and is based in Des Moines, Iowa. The purpose of the group was to bring together the state swine associations into a national coalition. The goals include the production of quality hog and pork products, to serve as an effective voice for pork producers, and to increase the consumption of pork products. Collection contains the constitution of the Council, membership and annual meeting information, and correspondence regarding the National Swine Industry Conference.
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Packer, R. Allen. Papers, 1929-1994.
Extent: 13.11 linear feet.
Number: RS 14/6/11.
Finding Aid: Online.


Pals, Clarence H. (1907- ). Papers, 1906-1991.
Extent: 7.2 linear feet.
Number: RS 21/07/73.
Description: Veterinarian, meat inspector, and administrator. Clarence H. Pals received a D.V.M. in 1932 from Iowa State University. After graduation, he started a veterinary practice in Thornton, Iowa, but stayed there only until November 1932, when he received an offer from the Meat Inspection Division of the Bureau of Animal Industry (U.S. Department of Agriculture) for a position as junior veterinarian. From 1932 to 1941 he served as a federal inspector in packing plants, first in Chicago, Illinois, and later in Fort Dodge, Estherville, and Sioux City, Iowa. In 1941 he was transferred to New York City, where he directed the work of three veterinary supervisors, import meat inspectors, and food inspectors who inspected all of the perishable food delivered to military installations in New York City and Connecticut. In 1944 he went to Washington, D.C., as assistant to the chief of the division. He became director of the division in 1960 and retired in 1965. Following his retirement, he worked in international trade for two years, then served as editor of The Federal Veterinarian from 1967 to 1976. Pals was active in professional associations on an international level, and served six years as president of the World Association of Veterinary Food Hygienists. Collection includes correspondence, memoranda, writings, and substantial material regarding federal regulations for meat inspection. Of special note is a scrapbook originally owned by D. Arthur Hughes, an inspector of food supplies for the Commissary Department of the U.S. Army in Chicago. This scrapbook, titled "The Movement Leading to the U.S. Meat Inspection Law of June 30, 1906," documents events leading to the passage of the law through news clippings and Hughes' comments. Correspondents include M. van Schothorst and E. H. Kampelmacher.
Status: Unprocessed.
Finding Aid: Unavailable.


Pearson, Philip T. Papers, 1961-1989. 
Extent: 0.21 linear foot. 
Number: RS 14/1/19.
Finding Aid: Online.


Ramsey, Frank K. Papers, 1917-1991.
Extent: 13.76 linear feet.
Number: RS 14/7/13.
Description: Veterinarian and educator. Frank K. Ramsey was born in Princeton, Missouri. He attended Northern State College, in Aberdeen, South Dakota, where he received a B.S. (1936). He received an M.A. from the University of Montana (1940) and a D.V.M. (1946) and Ph.D. (1955) from Iowa State University. Ramsey graduated with distinction and was first in his class in the College of Veterinary Medicine. Before going into veterinary medicine, he was superintendent of schools in Bonilla, South Dakota (1936-1938), and taught in a Glendive, Montana, junior college (1940-1943). He joined the faculty of Iowa State University in 1946 as an assistant professor of veterinary anatomy, was promoted to associate professor in 1949, and received the Clarence Hartley Covault Distinguished Professorship in 1957. He was head of the Department of Veterinary Pathology from 1957-1975. Ramsey was given the Distinguished Alumni Award from Northern State College; he was also named professor of the year in the College of Veterinary Medicine in 1960 and 1973. In 1947 he received the Iowa Veterinary Medical Association's first Veterinary Service Award. In 1974-1975, he earned the Gamma Sigma Delta Award of Merit for distinguished service to agriculture. In his honor, the F. K. Ramsey lecture series was established in the College of Veterinary Medicine in 1975. From 1958-1959 he was International Cooperation Administration consultant in Chile, and in 1961 he was veterinary consultant for the Agricultural Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, to determine whether to establish a veterinary school at Kabete, Kenya. He served in a number of capacities as an international consultant, and for his international consulting work he received the Wilton Park International Service Award. Collection includes correspondence, committee files, and writings. Correspondents include Edward A. Benbrook, Charles Grassley, and Margaret Sloss. Of particular note are records regarding the planning of Iowa State's College of Veterinary Medicine facility, erected in 1976.
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Ross, Richard Francis. Papers, 1963-2006.
Extent: 2.1 linear feet. 
Number: RS 14/1/21.
Description: Veterinarian and veterinary consultant. Richard Francis Ross received his D.V.M. (1959), his M.S. (1960), and his Ph.D. (1965) from Iowa State University. His career started as a Research Associate (1959-1961) at Iowa State's Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory. He worked his way up the ranks and was promoted to Professor (1972) and named Associate Dean (1990). Ross served as Interim Dean (1992-1993) and then Dean (1993-2000) of the College of Veterinary Medicine. This collection contains biographical information; publications written by Ross from his research in swine diseases such as Bordetella, Pasteurella, and mycoplasmal pneumonia; and reports to grant and contract sponsors including various pharmaceutical companies, the Iowa Pork Producers Association, National Pork Producers Council, the United States Department of Agriculture and the National Institutes of Health. 
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Searl, Richard. Papers, 1960-1978.
Extent: 0.84 linear foot.
Number: MS-167.
Description: Veterinarian and veterinary consultant. Richard Searl spent thirteen years as a practicing veterinarian in southwest Iowa and later became a veterinary consultant for Fort Dodge Laboratories. He served on the Iowa Veterinary Medical Association's Hog Cholera Eradication Committee as well as the Iowa Hog Cholera Eradication Committee. In the course of the fight against the hog cholera virus, controversy developed over the use of modified live virus vaccines and killed vaccines. Many attributed hog cholera outbreaks to the use of these vaccines and a ban on their use was put into effect in 1969. Much of the collection relates to the controversy over these vaccines and includes Congressional testimony, correspondence, memoranda, publications, and reports. Correspondents include W. J. Mendenhall, Keith Myers, and D. A. Peterson.
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Seaton, Vaughn A. Papers, 1964-1994. 
Extent: 1 folder.
Number: RS 14/2/13.


Sloss, Margaret W. Papers, 1915-1985.
Extent: 2.52 linear feet.
Number: RS 14/7/51.
Description: Veterinarian and educator. Margaret W. Sloss was the first woman to receive a D.V.M. from Iowa State University. She was born in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and was raised in Ames, Iowa. Sloss received a B.S. in 1923, M.S. in 1932, and D.V.M. in 1938, all from Iowa State. She served as a technician in veterinary pathology (1923-1929), assistant (1930-1941), instructor (1941-1943), assistant professor (1943-1957), associate professor (1958-1964), professor (1965-1972), and professor emeritus (1972) at Iowa State University. Sloss was listed by the Women's Centennial Congress as one of the 100 women in the United States to successfully follow careers in 1940 which were impossible for women in 1840. Margaret Sloss received many awards and citations during her tenure at Iowa State; the campus Women's Center bears her name. Collection includes biographical material, correspondence, writings, and photographs. Correspondents include Edward A. Benbrook, W. R. Boyd, Carrie Chapman Catt, Constance Beardshear Moye, Nellie Naylor, and Philip T. Pearson. Collection also includes Sloss family correspondence, including letters of Thomas Sloss, Margaret's father, who was superintendent of buildings and grounds at Iowa State from 1910-1936.
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Society for the Study of Reproduction. Records, 1962-1990.
Extent: 11.76 linear feet.
Number: MS-196.
Description: The Society for the Study of Reproduction was established in 1967 to promote the study of reproduction by fostering interdisciplinary communication within the science, by holding an annual conference, and by publication of conference proceedings. Membership includes researchers in obstetrics and gynecology, urology, zoology, animal husbandry, physiology and clinicians in human and veterinary medicine. Collection includes committee files, correspondence, financial records, grants and contracts, meeting minutes, and photographs. Correspondents include Andrzej Bartke, R.J. Blandau, Claude Cruse, Claude Desjardins, Gordon Duncan, Philip Dziuk, Larry Ewing, Robert Foote, Roger Gorski, G.B. Marion, and Gordon Niswender.
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Spira, Henry (1927-1998). Papers, 1963-1992.
Extent: 0.42 linear foot.
Number: MS-470.
Description: Animal welfare activist. Henry Spira, born in Belgium, worked as a New York City high school teacher and seaman. He fought corruption in the Maritime Union, participated in peace and civil rights activities, then became involved in campaigning for animal rights. He brought together leaders of contending animal rights groups to work for the humane treatment of animals in farming and research. Collection includes correspondence, news clippings, press releases, and publications. Correspondents include Perdue Farms Incorporated and the Animal Rights Coalition.
Status: Container listed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Stalker, Millikan. Papers, 1878-1961.
Extent: 5 folders.
Number: RS 14/1/11.
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Stange, Charles. Papers, 1908-1937.
Extent: 0.21 linear foot.
Number: RS 14/1/13.
Status: Processed.

Finding Aid: Online.


Stromberg Poultry Farm and Hatchery.  Records, 1922-1980.
Extent: 1.26 linear feet.
Number: MS-123.
Description:Ernst Sigfred Stromberg (1886-1969) was born in Greenview, Illinois. In 1893 his family moved to Otho, Iowa, and in 1913 Ernst Stromberg married Josephine Anderson. The couple made their home on a farm near Otho until 1925 when they moved to Fort Dodge, Iowa, and established the Stromberg Hatchery. Stromberg pioneered the chick hatchery concept in the United States; at one time the Stromberg Hatchery was the largest in the country, with branches in Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota; and in Mason City, Marshalltown, Boone, Webster City, Manson, Rolfe, and Lakota, Iowa. Stromberg also ran the Purity Milling Company and developed its formulas for poultry feeds. Collection includes advertising, correspondence, feed tests, financial records, legal documents, and ledgers. It also contains a 1959 letter from Stromberg to his sister Bettie explaining how he went into the hatchery business.
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Swenson, Melvin J. Papers, 1957.
Extent: 1 folder.
Number: RS 14/8/13.


Telleen, Carl L. Papers, 1979, 1981-1986.
Extent: 0.84 linear foot.
Number: RS 21/07/74.
Description: Veterinarian and meat inspector. Carl L. Telleen received his B.S. (1937) and his D.V.M. (1939) from Iowa State College (University). Telleen became a meat inspector for the Food Safety Inspection Service of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and developed a concern with regulations in the meat industry allowing contaminated produce to pass with sold product. Telleen advocated for better safety in the meat industry and fought with the USDA for such. This collection includes correspondence, news clippings, speeches, transcripts, and writings by Telleen documenting his fight for stronger USDA regulations of the meat packing industry.
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Theophilus, D.R. (Donald Richard). Papers, 1917-1970, n.d.
Extent: 1.72 linear feet.
Number: RS 21/7/126.
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online.


University Extension. Veterinary Medical Extension. RS 16/8

RS 16/8/0/0.

Newsclippings, 1985. 1 folder.

RS 16/8/0/2.

Newsletters, 1973-1994. 1.05 linear feet.

RS 16/8/0/3.

Brochures, 1986-1988. 1 folder.

RS 16/8/0/4.

Conferences and Workshops, 1975-1991. 3 folders.

RS 16/8/2.

Personnel Files, 1916-1988. 3 folders.


Veterinary Circle. Records, 1928-1984. 
Extent: 0.63 linear foot. 
Number: RS 20/2/4.
Status: Unprocessed.
Finding Aid: Unavailable.


Western Veterinary Conference. Records, 1958-[ongoing].
Extent: 100.52 linear ft.
Number: MS-305.
Description: Organization of American and Canadian veterinarians founded in 1928, formerly known as the Intermountain Livestock Sanitary Association and the Intermountain Veterinary Medicine Association. The purpose of the conference is to provide practical continuing education for veterinarians and technicians. Collection includes bylaws, correspondence, annual meeting and conference programs, financial statements, invoices, ledgers, audiotapes, and committee and mailing lists. It also contains the files of association executive officers, including G. Tom Purvance, John O'Hara, William J. Kay, J. Micuda, B. McGowan, M. L. Miner, Guy Reynolds, James Tucker, Don Lundholm, Reginald Stocking, Don Miller, and Kenneth Weide.
Status: Processed.
Finding Aid: Online.


Wood-Gush, David. Papers, 1978-1986.
Extent: 0.21 linear foot.
Number: MS-451.
Description: Animal rights researcher. David Wood-Gush was born in South Africa and received a B.Sc. from the University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, and a Ph.D. from the University of Edinburgh. He is an animal researcher at the Edinburgh School of Agriculture, University of Edinburgh; his research has dealt with the humane treatment of animals. Collection includes manuscripts, correspondence, grant proposals, a list of Wood-Gush's publications, and workshop and seminar materials.
Status: Container listed.
Finding Aid: Available in Special Collections.


World Association Of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians. Records, 1977-1993.
Extent: 7.8 linear feet.
Number: MS-281.
Description: Organization of individuals from thirty countries involved in the laboratory analysis of animal diseases. Founded in 1977, the association seeks to coordinate the activities of regulatory, research, and service laboratories; maintain guidelines for personnel qualifications and facility standards; and establish uniform laboratory methods. Records include a constitution and bylaws, correspondence, files documenting meeting arrangements, and proceedings. The records are those of Vaughn A. Seaton, professor emeritus of veterinary pathology and former head of the veterinary diagnostic laboratory at Iowa State University. Seaton was the founding president of the World Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians in 1977, serving in the office until 1983.
Status: Unprocessed.
Finding Aid: Unavailable.